Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Wow...what an experience!!








Well, when I last posted, we were in Italy getting ready to leave for the Swiss Alps as we moved to our hotel in Germany. Adventures always happen when we're on trips such as these and sure enough, we had to change our plans due to a little accident with one of the vans. Instead, we went through Austria, which was one of the most beautiful drives I have ever seen!! We got in late but what a beautiful hotel we arrived at!! These are the biggest rooms I have ever seen! The next am, we went to Eagle's Nest. WOW and another WOW!! To think this was a place Hitler loved so much...the view is...well, not sure there are words to describe it. I have seen many panoramics in my life but NONE come close to this!! We were actually in the snow!!! It was amazing...we were warm earlier that day and then absolutely freezing when we reached Eagle's Nest. The bus ride to the very top was something I'll never forget. Photos can do it no justice!! Anyway, I hope to post a few of those.

Today was a solemn day as we went to Dachau Concentration Camp. Again, we become speechless as we see with our own eyes, the part of history we have studied and read so much about. I had chills as I went through the museum and read about the astrocities that went on. Again, we know about them because of history books, films and documentaries however, seeing these on the very ground where it all happened is just overwhelming. The crematories were the last thing on the grounds that I visited and I truly can't explain how I felt when I went through the rooms where they were held, disrobed and then "showered". To see the actual ovens where so many bodies were disposed of and finally, the gas chambers where once again, we vilualize this horrific act. Just sobering and heartbreaking...

To my family...hope all is well. We are going to a castle tomorrow and then we head out to Belgium. At least there, I can understand and speak the language! It has been odd to be in a country where I don't understand anything! It has been beautiful though! JA and Carolina, I'm proud of you and how well you did in the play! Carolina...i am also proud of you and your first place finishes! Kerri and Kacie, can't wait to see what happens on AI! Mom, glad to hear my Heath is doing well with you! Nat and Mich, I'll talk to you sometime!

Talk to you when I'm in Belgium!

Maria

1 comment:

  1. Wow....the pictures were awesome. Can't wait to hear about it and see the rest of the pics when you get home. Kacie got back today from her camping trip and seemed to enjoy it. She said they nearly froze to death as the temps have been in the upper 40's these days. So very weird for this time of year. Kerri graduates from 8th grade tomorrow and is excited to be done. Mom and Michelle are coming up for the ceremony. Well I hope you continue to enjoy Europe.
    Love,
    Nat

    Hey Mia,
    I just got back from camp and had lots of fun. It was cold, though! It looks like you've seen some snow too. I can't wait to see AI tonight. Wonder who goes off tomorrow??
    Love you,
    Kacie

    Hey Aunt Mia, It looks like you're seeing a lot of neat things. We've studied about some of the terrible things that were done during WWII. That must be sad to see some of them in real life. Can't wait to graduate tomorrow!
    Love ya,
    Kerri

    ReplyDelete