Sunday, May 15, 2011

People of Europe


Walking the streets of Italy and France is sort of like being zapped into a sociology textbook picture demonstrating cultural diversity. Different fashions and languages swirl around us, offering glimpses into a range of foreign lifestyles. But one of the most eye-opening experiences of all is coming face-to-face with a local; they stroll around--schoolchildren, lovebirds, street vendors, grannies and grandpas--totally nonchalant, and I can’t help but marvel at the reality that millions of people are leading their own lives outside of the tiny universe I call home. I think I can speak for American tourists everywhere when I say that the Grand European Experience would be incomplete without a healthy dose of people-watching.

-MM

1 comment:

  1. So glad you all are having a good trip. Having never been to Europe, I am feeling a bit jealous right about now. After all the pix of architecture and art, I imagine it is a bit strange to see people just living their lives with all of this historical richness all around them. Makes history class seem a bit more interested, I bet... :)

    Keep having a great trip and tell the crew to keep posting. We are reading along for the ride.

    Robert
    Roane State library director.

    ReplyDelete