Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Germany!





It’s Josh again after another wonderful few days! We had a fun time in Florence, which began with a visit to the American cemetery at Florence. The light drizzling rain falling on the long rows of fallen hero’s headstones was a very sobering experience. Placing the flags on the graves of Tennessee veterans felt really good though, as well as seeing the people at the cemetery paying their respects. I have a new found appreciation for the men and women who have given their lives for our country. Especially since I have learned that the average age of a KIA WW2 soldier was only 22 years old, which is my age. After the cemetery, we were able to go to the city of Florence, which was peppered with some of the most beautiful buildings and artwork I have ever seen. Again, I was astonished at the amount of time and work that goes into the cities built there. After a grueling but very scenic drive through Northern Italy and Austria we made it to the hotel. Cobb did an excellent job negotiating our rooms, as it is one of best I have ever stayed in. In my separate room inside of the overall room I am sharing with him, I am able to escape the sounds that come from deep inside his throat while he sleeps. I am having a great time and look forward to exploring Germany.

1 comment:

  1. Very cool Josh, glad you could visit the troops, definitely an eye opener. Sounds like the trip is great so far. I am jealous, maybe mom and I will get over the pond someday soon. Stay safe and have fun. Poppy

    ReplyDelete