Monday, May 16, 2011

Thoughts of honor....





Hey everyone!!!  Rachael here...and we have finally arrived in Germany!!! It's late and we're all totally exhausted, but I'm so excited to be here in my homeland. It's funny to me to think that I've only technically spent three days here after I was born, and now 20 years later I've returned. The place we are staying is super cute and cozy, and sleep is going to be a wonderful thing after that long drive we just had. I just wanted to blog a bit about my experience at the Florence American Cemetary before I forgot considering it was such an awesome moment.  The pictures I posted above are of me placing a flag on my cousin Walter G. Maden's grave.  I honestly believed I was prepared for the moment when I would see a family grave of a veteran of WWII; however I was not.  When some of my fellow group members found it I was nervous on the walk over to the site; wondering how I would handle it.  When we got there I was overwhelmed with many different emotions.  To be standing amongst the graves of so many valiant soldiers who died, and to proudly be possibly Walter's fist relative to visit the site was an amazing experience. I am so grateful for the opportunity and look forward to the other cemetaries we shall visit, including Normandy which also has another relative!! I come from a long line of military veterans, so this is no surprise, but I am honored to have such men and women in my family. To honor them by placing a flag on their grave is something I will never forget.

1 comment:

  1. The group is doing an excellent job with the blog! It is beautiful! The pics are great and the posts are even better. Thank you for all your hard work. Keep it up:)

    ReplyDelete