Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Dachau Concentration Camp

Hello out there, Rubianna here! So today we went to Dachau Concentration Camp! It was an experience I will never forget. As you walk in and you see the gate that says "Arbeit Macht Frei" which means "Work Makes You Free" the beginning of the unforgettable experience begins. As you walk in, the first image that comes to mind is the group of prisoners lining up for the roll call because you see this big empty space and you just know that's what it was for. We first went through a museum that explained the history of the camp and some of the information on the prisoners. It also explained what life was like for the prisoners on a day to day basis. We were able to see the barracks, bunker where the punishments were given, and the worst thing, the crematorium. The entire experience was extremely heart wrenching, but walking into the crematorium was terribly sad on a whole other level. To stand in the exact same spot as the prisoners, right before they were sent into the gas chambers, is something I never thought I would get to experience. It definitely was not exciting, but a feeling that was inexplicable. I am extremely thankful to Professor Cobb for allowing me and my classmates the experience of visiting Dachau. I know most of us feel that it was something we never thought we'd be able to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment