Thursday, May 19, 2011

Guten Tag!!!!







Hello all!!! After an early start this morning at 6am we have finally arrived in Belgium! The time we spent in Germany was some of my most anticipated considering I wanted to know what the country was actually like.  It wasn't at all as I had pictured, yet at the same time it fit perfectly.  The beautiful picturesque houses, the wonderful food (inexpensive I might add!!!), and not to mention the amazing sprawling scenery were all quite amazing.  Most of the people were nice, and I was surprised to see how "American-ish" many of the places were. It was nice to communicate in English for once haha. On our first day in Germany we had the pleasure of venturing up to the Eagles Nest, a place known to be a scenic birthday present for Hitler.  It was astounding to me that a man with such evil intentions could appreciate the beauty of such a place.  As I stood there filling my lungs with the fresh air I felt myself fall into a peaceful mindset.  The German countryside is so absolutely gorgeous, it seems almost fairytale and unreal to me.  Even with this euphoria caused by the landscapes there was also an experience that took my breath away in a different fashion.  Our visit to Dachau concentration camp kept my stomach in knots the entire time as I read the different information and stories within the museum.  To stand within a gas chamber and walk the halls of a bunker left me with chills.  As I walked towards the crematorium, a bell began to chime.  It lasted for quite a while, and for the entirity of it I could only think of the people who had once stood in this very place, hearing the same bell, awaiting or unknowingly inching closer and closer to their final day of life.  Having always been interested in the study of the Holocaust events, I was not shocked by most of the information; however, to stand in the very place were history has occured is completely moving.  That is an experience even the best writer cannot create through their words. 
       I was sad to leave our beautiful German guest house with our fanatic hostess behind today, yet I was excited to see King Ludwig II's castle which of course was beautiful.  I was disappointed to learn that he only stayed their a combined total of about six months!!!  After we completed the tour we drove to Erwin Rommel's grave which surprised me because of its simplicity.  Within the cemetery there were some of the most amazing headstones I have ever seen, but I suppose I expected a slightly more recognized gravesite for such a well-known general.  Here is to hoping tomorrow's Belgium adventures will be wonderful!!! Goodnight all!! Love to my family and friends <3

1 comment: