Monday, May 23, 2011

Bonjour from France once again!


It's hard to believe that we have already spent time in southern France, Italy, Germany, Belgium and now back to France, my "other" home! Of course, we did drive through Monaco, Austria and visited some sites in Luxembourg as well! These past two weeks just flew by and now we are wrapping up our visit by spending the last week in Normandy. As always, as much as I enjoyed the other countries, it is SO good to get back to this country that I love so much. All are unique in their own way as well as being absolutely beautiful! Europe is just a wonderful place and we were blessed to be able to visit so many of its countries!!

We just got in from "exploring" the Normandy area. We found a couple of bunkers that we never visited before. Talk about an adventure....nothing like climbing down into those bunkers or going down a flight of stairs where you have NO idea what is "around the corner"! It was a blast and I will post some pictures of that adventure.

I should also mention that I am so glad we have been able to visit more cemeteries this year. Each one has been in a beautiful setting and most of them had someone talk to us as a group. Unlike in years past, where we only visited the popular one in Normandy, it has been an honor to visit these "lesser-known" cemeteries. We want to remember ALL of them because of the sacrifices they made. Putting the TN flag at each one of these who are listed (from Tennessee) is something we'll remember all our lives.

Today, we went to Melville and some of the stories told at the museum were heart-wrenching. One story was regarding a Normandy couple who risked it all to hide some British soldiers. It came with a heavy price. Her husband was beaten and dragged away where they eventually shot him. She and her daughters were also arrested but eventually were released. A couple of the British soldiers they protected NEVER forgot and many years later, made sure this woman was recognized by the British government. Another story was told about a soldier and his dog, Glen. Unfortunately, both were killed and the family made sure they were buried together. One story after another like this makes you see the "personal" side of the names we are reading.

Well, that's it for now. To my family, I miss you and can't wait to see you. To my precious nieces and nephew, I miss you SO much and I look forward to that wonderful greeting at the airport. (One of my favorite moments of all time!) Mom, thanks for taking care of my Heath! Glad to hear he is doing well. Nat and Mich, hope to talk to you guys soon! Keep putting the kids on this blog...I look forward to hearing from all of you! Thanks and au revoir for now!

Maria

1 comment:

  1. Hey Maria,
    The trip sounds exhausting but quite fun at the same time. Glad you're enjoying yourself. We're at Michelle's house tonight because I need to babysit them in the morning. We look forward to seeing you on Saturday. Enjoy the rest of your trip.
    Love,
    Nat

    Hey Aunt Mia,
    i love you so so so so so so much. you beautiful woman and french too!!!!
    Love,
    Carolina

    Hey Aunt Mia,
    I'm just playing games with Kerri and Kacie and having fun. I love the cookies aunt nat brought. Can't wait to see you Saturday!
    love you,
    John Aidan

    Dear Aunt Mia,
    I am having fun with JA and C at their house. We can't wait to greet you at the airport. Hope you have fun this week.
    Love you bunches,
    Kacie

    Dear Aunt Mia,
    I am here with these little kids tonight but having fun with the video games. I can't wait to see you on Saturday. We have missed you too. Have fun in France for your last week.
    Love you,
    Kerri

    ReplyDelete